Friday, July 21, 2006

cooking class

So I teach these four back-to-back cooking classes on Friday mornings, though I cook the same thing in each one of them so it's really not that big of an ordeal. Basically it's more like a demonstration than a hands-on thing for them, mainly because you can't really trust five and six year olds with anything involving a lot of boiling and chopping. Usually they like what I make for them, though some of them are a little picky when it comes to anything that even remotely resembles traditional American kids' foods. They aren't used to things like Mac & Cheese or pancakes (for shame!) so finding something that all of them will eat can sometimes be a challenge. But wonder of all wonders I hit the jackpot with today's dish, ddeokbokki. At first I thought it might be a little too spicy for them, but they gobbled it up just the same.

Even the other Korean teachers said my ddeokbokki was very delicious. Not bad considering it was my first time making it. I'd even go so far as to say that it rivals some of the ddeokbokki I've eaten from the local street vendors. Maybe I should open up my own stand? And in case you're wondering, today's ddeokbokki consisted of fresh rice cakes or ddeok purchased from the local E-Mart, pre-packaged gochujang sauce (specially made for ddeokbokki), cut-up carrots, chopped onions, and slices of fish cake or odaeng. I also added a little sugar and a bit of ketchup for sweetness which a fellow Korean teacher had recommended I do to offset the spicyness. Overall it was a huge success, and not very difficult at all! I was able to throw the whole thing together in less than fifteen minutes.

So yes, today's cooking class went well. Stay-tuned for next week's recipe, Korean bean sprout salad...yum!
-_-

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Spaghetti with taco seasoning. Oddly enough it's usually a kid favorite.

Or maybe frozen juice in an ice cube tray with the toothpicks in saranwrap. It's not "cooking" per se, but it's pretty good on a hot day.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home